The Bridge School Lower Elementary School Self-Determination Program is a 3-unit program for students who have complex communication needs (CCN) and who use Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC).
- Unit 1: Getting Acquainted/Ice Breakers
- Unit 2: Self-Knowledge
- Unit 3: Plan and Act
- Can be completed in 7-9 weeks per unit over the course of the school year.
- Should be completed in order from 1 to 3 as units build on one another.
- Each activity has 3-5 components:
- Introduction to the activity by the mentor
- A competed project sample by the mentor
- A homework assignment with parents
- Classroom writing project
- Culminating written and artistic project expressing student individuality
Our program can be implemented by any combination of teacher, instructional assistant, speech-language pathologist, family member and/or mentor. Our program has three unique components:
- Guided Practice Classroom Lessons
- Mentorship Experiences
- Real-World Opportunities